domingo, 13 de mayo de 2012

CANCIÓN PARA EL DÍA DE LA MADRE DE UN BIÓLOGO

¿Cómo le agradece un biólogo a su madre todo lo que ella ha hecho por él? Con una canción...

(Se puede ver la letra pulsando en "Leer más...")




To make one me you just add
Half of mom and half of dad
That is what I once believed
But now I know that I was wrong
You gave so much to me mom
Besides one half a set of genes.

You gave me nutrients and transcription factors
and nearly everything that matters
plus my prenatal environment (transplacental inheritance)
mRNA, mitochondria,
That back in the day once belonged to ya (they're cytoplasmic)
and I just want to thank you for supplying them

Just like two strands of DNA are spirally entwined
Your nature and your nurture are inspiringly combined
Scientists remind me and I find that it is true
Slightly more than half of everything I am is thanks to you (bis)

Mitochondria power the cell
and they have DNA as well
Transcription factors modulate transcription
And since they're in the cytoplasm
The eggs're the only one who has them
and sperm I guess they dont have the ambition

My sex determination gene means that I'm a guy
You gave me one X chromosome, Dad gave me one Y
X has over a thousand genes, Y has less than 92
Thats why slightly more than half of everything I am is thanks to you
Slightly more than half of verything I am is thanks to you

I roomed in your womb for nine months and I never have paid the rents
Your glucocorticoids have shaped my hypothalamic developments
I took in your blood and sucked it dry of every nutrient (its gross but true)
Sometimes I wonder where the time went (where did it go)
Sometimes I wonder where it whole ends

I know I'll never understand all you have done for me (I'm not that smart)
But since you paid for college I'll get my B. S. degree (bachelor of science)
And I have learned it's not BS but absolutely true
Slightly more than half of everything I am is thanks to you.
More than half of everything I am is thanks to you.

You gave me nutrients, transcription factors, nearly everything that matters,
mRNA, mitochondria,
That back in the day once belonged to ya

Nutrients, transcription factors,
everything that really matters,
mRNA, mitochondria,
That back in the day once belonged to ya, singing...

"It's not an even 50/50 split you get a disproportionate share of your DNA coming from your mom. Really important." - Robert Sapolsky

Just like two strands of DNA are spirally entwined (double helixes)
Your nature and your nurture are inspiringly combined
Scientists remind me and I find that it is true
Slightly more than half of everything I am is thanks to you (bis)
Slightly more than half of me is thanks to you.

1 comentario:

  1. Este vídeo esta genial sobre ciencia:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFqqyyBrE0
    deberías ponerlo

    ResponderEliminar